Is Speedwell Poisonous to Dogs?

Is Speedwell Poisonous to Dogs

As a dog owner, you should know that dogs will eat almost anything, a shoe, toy, piece of wood lying aimlessly in the yard. Most times, dogs tend to taste flowers and plants that they see around. Well, dogs do not know, like humans do, that all that glitters is not gold-or in this case, food.

Therefore, the onus lies on you to be careful with whatever you allow lying around as they may be making their way into the alimentary canal of the dogs. Some flowers and plants are so toxic that even drinking from their container will cause a lot of health issues for your pet.

Again, different plants have different parts that are toxic. Their toxicity could lie in the flowers, leaves, or even seeds. Our focus today is on speedwell as a plant. Is speedwell poisonous to dogs? To put succinctly, speedwell is not poisonous to dogs and your other pets in general, but that’s when they don’t take it in excess. We shall discuss why below.

But first, what is speedwell?

What Is Speedwell?

What Can Speedwell Be Used For

Speedwell, also known as Veronica or Brooklime, is a plant with beautiful blooming flowers that last throughout summer.

They are relatively easy to maintain and will give a busy gardener no stress. The speedwell has bright blue, white, and pink flowers. They are resistant to drought, diseases, and pests.

The vibrant blue colors of their flowers attract hummingbirds and butterflies, which are agents of pollination. It takes eight weeks from the month of planting for flowers to bloom. The plant will perform best on a properly drained soil and the full glare of the sun.

You can plant speedwell by using the seeds. Most people prefer getting the speedwell in a nursery so that they will get to planting right away. There are many types of speedwell: red fox, goodness grows, royal candles, first love, white icicles, etc.

Is Speedwell Poisonous to Dogs?

No. The Speedwell plant is not poisonous to dogs. It is listed as one of the safe and dog-friendly plants by the ASPCA.

You can let your dog eat some of the speedwells that may be lurking about in your garden. The speedwell color attracts dogs, and there is not much harm if they nibble on it.

What Can Speedwell Be Used For?

Will Speedwell Do Any Harm To Your Dog

Speedwell is a popular plant that has various purposes. Below are some of the uses:

  1. Gardeners cut the speedwell plant when it is flowering, dry it, and use it for infusions.
  2. Dieticians dry the herb and use it to make tea blends.
  3. Speedwell is also planted for its aroma-even though faint.
  4. Speedwell is a diuretic. People use it to treat cough and stomach-ache. Some people say they use it to cure stomach ulcers.
  5. Some people infuse speedwell and use the solution to treat infected or irritated skin.
  6. Natives use the speedwell plant to treat throat and mouth sores.
  7. Herbal tea drinkers use the dried speedwell herb to make tea. They put the herbs in a steaming water cup.
  8. Speedwell cures chronic dermal problems.
  9. The speedwell plant can also alleviate asthma and allergic symptoms.

Will Speedwell Do Any Harm To Your Dog?

Even though the speedwell is non-toxic, pet owners should take care of the amount of speedwell the dog eats. Moderation is key. You have to control how much of the speedwell your dog eats. Else you stand a risk of your dog falling ill.

In excess, the speedwell plant may cause gastrointestinal discomfort for your dog. You may notice them stooling too often. There may also be vomiting and general weakness.

You’d see your dog is not as active as they were before. At most, feed the speedwell with few cuts of the plant twice a week.

Read Also: Is Blue Star Creeper Toxic to Dogs?

Conclusion

Is speedwell poisonous to dogs? The answer to the question is no. Speedwell is not toxic to dogs. However, pet owners should regulate the amount of speedwell their dogs eat. Eating the speedwell in moderation will ensure the dog does not fall sick.

In any case that the dog falls ill after eating speedwell, you can get in touch with your Vet. Emergency lines are also available to that effect, you can call the APCC poison hotline, and they will get in touch in no time.

Scroll to Top