Luckily, you do not have to use crude pruning tools or corded hedge trimmers that get in the way of easy maneuverability – thanks to the emergence of gas hedge trimmers.
With the best gas hedge trimmers, you can trim bushy flowers and shrubs effortlessly. But there is a problem.
The majority of gas hedge trimmers you would find in the market today are noisy and messy. So how do you know which will be good for the work?
There are different criteria we have considered to pick the best in the market, and we have saved you that stress.
Table of Contents
Best Gas Powered Hedge Trimmers
Why Use A Gas Hedge Trimmer?
As you may already know that gas hedge trimmers amongst others cost more, weigh more, and are difficult to use. With all these being said, why use a gas hedge trimmer?
There are many advantages of using gas hedge trimmers. They are designed to take up heavy-duty jobs that the ordinary battery-powered and electrical hedge trimmers wouldn’t.
If you would be pruning and trimming a commercial garden, there would be no suitable one that can match the size of the job than a gas type hedge trimmer.
Cutting thick and large branches may also be difficult with electric hedge trimmers. All these and many more do gas hedge trimmers stand out.
- Read Also: Pole Saw Vs Hedge Trimmer
Best Gas Hedge Trimmers Reviews
1. SALEM MASTER Cordless Hedge Trimmer
SALEM uses a 2-cycle engine to deliver superb power to effortlessly trim your garden plants including bayberries, back pampas grass, shrubs, and bushes, etc. It cuts twice faster than the usual gas trimmers you have known. This is because of the dual blade action that initiates a cut with the to and fro blade stroke.
With low noise and less vibration, trimming has never been almost effortless using this beast.
The 22-inch provides for better reach, so you can trim hard to reach areas with this long blade. It will conveniently take up thick branches up to ¾ inch in diameter.
Starting it may be a bit of a process; but once the engine is warm up, it is easy. With just 5 steps, the machine is up and running. Ergonomic handles offer a firm and comfortable grip, not forgetting to mention that it can be adjusted, rotated to suit your position.
SALEM MASTER cordless hedge trimmer comes with a blade for improved safety during transport and storage.
2. Poulan Pro PR2322 22-Inch 23cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer
- Powerful 23cc 2 cycle full crank engine for maximum cutting performance
- Durable dual-action stainless Steel blades cut up to 22" wide and limbs up to 1" in diameter
- Rotating handle with comfort grip and advanced anti-vibration for superior comfort, reduced fatigue and maximum cutting control
- Lightweight design at Only 11.1 lbs
Last update on 2024-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
One of the major advantages of gas-powered hedge trimmers is that they have sufficient power to cut thick, hard stems, and branches. If you are looking at cutting branches up to 1 inch, the Paulan Pro will effortlessly deliver a seamless cut.
The Durable dual-action stainless Steel blades cut up to 22" wide and provide for better reach. With the rotating handle, you can assume any position that will allow you to do the job conveniently, thus reducing fatigue and improving maximum cutting control.
One of the important features worth mentioning is the effective anti-vibration dampeners. It absorbs vibration for reduced operator strain, noise, and fatigue.
Startup is easy and beginner-friendly. The major complaint from users is associated with the recoil starter. While some complained of failure to recoil, others complained of failure to start. However, all these are covered with their warranty.
3. Husqvarna 122HD60 21.7cc Gas 23.7-in Dual Action Hedge Trimmer
- The Smart Start engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- A carburetor air purge system removes air from the carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- When the machine is turned off, the stop switch automatically returns to the start position for easier starting
- The rear handle is adjustable to facilitate cutting the sides and top of hedges
- Anti-vibration dampeners absorb vibration, reducing stress on the user's arms and hands
Last update on 2024-02-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
If you have some range of garden tools in your garage, you probably may have one of them from Husqvarna. They are one of the popular manufacturers of garden tools including mowers. We could not have expected less from their gas hedge trimmers.
With no complicated parts, the Smart Start engine and starter have been designed to start quickly with minimum effort. This makes it the perfect choice for beginners.
Just like others, the handle is easily rotated to any angle to facilitate cutting the sides and top of hedges.
Anti-vibration dampeners absorb vibration common with most gas-powered hedge trimmers, thus reducing stress on the user's arms and hands.
The 24 inches long blade offers more reach than others, as it will conveniently cut branches up to 0.8-inch diameter.
Another hugely convenient feature of this model is the dual-action blade that provides a cutting speed of 4,050 cuts/min means more cutting with each pass.
4. EASYG 23.6cc Gas Hedge Trimmer
- STARTUP SPEED: This double-sided hedge trimmer has SmartStart to speed up startup and is perfect for homeowners who need to get their work done.
- EASY TO USE: This hedge trimmer is equipped with a throttle lock tool. When the required cutting speed is reached, simply press the throttle lock switch to reach the required speed.
- VERY QUIET: This double-sided hedge trimmer does not make a lot of noise like other trimmers while you work, so you don't have to worry about disturbing others.
- INGENIOUS DESIGN: Our products are specially equipped with shock absorbers inside, which can absorb excess vibration, thereby reducing the pressure on the arms and hands.
- ESGY MAINTENANCE: Zero-type grease nipples and air filter covers make maintenance of this pneumatic hedge trimmer unit easy.
Last update on 2024-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Designed with the need of both domestic and commercial jobs in mind, the EASY hedge trimmer features a 2-cycle recoil gasoline trim blade that delivers twice efficiency as others.
This double-sided hedge trimmer has SmartStart to speed up startup. This feature is perfect for homeowners who need to get their work done fast.
The overall design is awesome so that it gives you the best gas hedge trimmer with low noise and less vibration – this is credited to the efficient built-in vibration dampeners.
One quality you would look out for when buying gas-powered engines is easy maintenance. The EASY hedge trimmer got it right here with their zero-type grease nipples and air filter covers that make maintenance of this pneumatic hedge trimmer unit easy.
You are backed by their one-year warranty on this product as you will either get a reissue of accessories or a refund depending on the case.
5. Tanaka TCH22EBP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer
- Tanaka 21.1cc commercial grade 2-cycle engine for maximum reliability and durability
- 5 position rear handle for maximum comfort and maneuverability
- Forward-facing exhaust prevents burnt hedges
- 24" commercial dual reciprocating blades. 0.3 liter fuel tank ensures long operating times between each break for refueling
- Purge bulb and S-start technology for smooth, low-effort pull starts
Last update on 2024-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What if you had a blade that can reach up to 30” in length, will it do the job faster and more conveniently? Certainly, it will and this is where the Tanaka gas hedge trimmer stands out.
It is available in 3 different blade sizes including 20, 24, and 30 inches. So you can pick a choice depending on what best suits your project.
This machine is powered by a 2-cycle engine for maximum reliability and durability. It is perfect for both domestic and commercial trimming because the 0.3-liter fuel tank ensures long operating times between each break for refueling.
Tanaka is beginner-friendly, offering simple design and effortless operation. Combining the purge bulb as well as S-Start which reduces the amount of pull-force, you can effortlessly put on the gas engine.
There is a 5-position rear handle adjustment which provides a more convenient position for the user to work with.
With their 2-year commercial warranty on this product, you are sure to be investing in a hedge trimmer with no risks.
6. Echo 20 in. 21.2 cc Gas 2-Stroke Cycle Hedge Trimmer
- The ECHO hedge trimmer HC-2020 is lightweight and offers professional-grade features for dependability. Its 20 in. blades offer superior cutting performance and twice as many cutting edges as the remaining bush trimmer competition. A zero-type grease fitting and tool-less air filter cover makes maintenance easy on this gas powered hedge trimmer unit.
- Features 20" double-sided, double-reciprocating razor edge blades
Last update on 2024-02-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is not your usual long cutting blade. We understand that even though longer blades provide more reach and faster jobs; the shorter blade has still got some advantages over the long ones we are conversant with.
Shorter blades can perform some special tasks and are easier to maneuver.
This model of ECHO trimmer features 20" double-sided and double-reciprocating razor edge blades. These two combined features provide a superior cutting performance.
Maintenance is easy because the engine is designed with zero-type grease fitting and tool-less air filter cover.
Of course, for a blade with lesser length, you would expect it to be lighter than others of the same engine weight.
Echo gives you great offers compared to others. They have a five-year warranty on everything except the ignition system which has a lifetime warranty. However, Amazon offers a three year extended warranty.
7. Makita 25.4 cc. Pole Hedge Trimmer
Working at height may be dangerous especially for beginners with less prior experience. The stress and hassle involved in transporting ladders for the job is even more challenging. If you are a landscaper or gardener working often with taller hedges, shrubs, and trees, this is a must-have for you.
The Makita’s four-stroke pole hedge trimmer is one of the best, commercial-grade hedge trimmers available. The overall design is done to encourage easy maintenance. Oil filling port and drain plug are easily accessible with oil level view window for easy checking and replacing of oil.
The cutting blade is only 22”, but including the extension pole, the entire unit gives you more reach without a ladder.
Makita 25.4 cc is powered by a powerful 4-stroke engine, so has lots of power for cutting big branches in high places and will not stall when the engine is turned upside down.
The engine supplies motion to the blade through a steel drive shaft, for less vibration and longer equipment life.
What To Look For When Buying A Gas Hedge Trimmer
The following are some of the most important factors and criteria for choosing the best gas hedge trimmers in the market.
- Read Also: Best Pruning Loppers
The length of the blade
This is one of the most important factors. Typically, a gas hedge trimmer blade will span from 20” to 26”. A longer blade will increase reach and cover more portion of the shrub’s edge per each passage of the blade.
Unfortunately, this does not come without a disadvantage. A long blade will impact the weight of the machine. If you are looking to stay light while working, then you should probably consider buying a shorter blade.
The noise level
Gasoline engines are not the best choice if you wish to stay quiet with your job. But they are the best when it comes to power. When choosing a gas-powered hedge trimmer, you will want to narrow your selection down to the quietest models.
You will be able to work without disturbing the neighbors around you. The quiet operation will also imply less vibration.
Buying a product for the first time may be risky, but these risks are minimized if the manufacturer can offer a good warranty on the product.
It is wise to always look for the best warranty. At least a warranty from 1 year and above seems just great. This ensures that the manufacturer takes responsibility for any damages that happens to the product within that period – you don’t want to joke with this.
Type of blade
There are two types of blades associated with gas hedge trimmers. They are the single-sided trimmers and the double-sided trimmers.
Single-sided blades have the sharp cutting side on one edge, while the double-sided have the sharp cutting side on both edges of the blade.
Recently, most manufacturers are making more of the double-sided blade because they are more efficient and faster to work with.
How To Use A Gas Hedge Trimmer
No matter what brand of hedge trimmer you purchase, their mode of operation is similar, and using them is also similar.
First, the safety of your engine is paramount. If you have purchased an engine that does not have a separate oil port, you always have to mix 40 parts unleaded fuel to 1 part 2-stroke engines. This may however differ from the manufacturer. It is important to read the manual for the right mixture.
This helps prevent the engine from overheating and further damage to your hedge trimmer.
Putting on the engine
Unlike electric-powered hedge trimmers that come on with the trigger of a button, a gas hedge trimmer requires more process and energy to start.
After ensuring that the fuel tank is filled with gas and oil in the recommended ratio, lie the hedge trimmer flat on the ground.
Put the on-switch to the ON position. The majority of them have that installed at the top of the handle.
Pull the choke trigger to the “cold start” position, and pump the air purge five to six times to ensure good fuel distribution. Pull the recoil starter. To ensure that the unit is firmly held to the ground while pulling, place one foot on the rear handle and one hand on the front handle.
The first pull will sound like the engine is going to fire. This pull is necessary to warm the engine.
Pull the choke trimmer to the “run” position and with the engine still firmly held to the ground, pull the recoil starter again. This time, it will take between the first to third pull for the engine to start up.
Using the gas powered hedge trimmer
Using hedge trimmers are easy, but effectiveness is dependent on experience. Hold the machine firmly with both hands and take your best position. You can adjust the rear handle to different positions.
When you are ready, simply pull the throttle valve to initiate the movement of the blades. Use the blade to brush around the hedges of the shrub you intend to trim.
While brushing, ensure that the blade does not touch the ground or come in contact with hard objects. Note that these machines are only designed to cut foliage or soft woody branches and not hard objects.
- Read Also: Top Rated Ratchet Hand Pruners
Safety Precautions For Gas Hedge Trimmer
- Always use the manufacturer’s manual before using a new hedge trimmer because even while their mode of operation can be a bit similar, different brands have some little changes in different models that may need to be taken into consideration.
- Always ensure to make use of PPE when using this machine. Some of the PPE includes ear protection, eye protection, gloves, safety boots, etc.
- Make sure that the blade guard is in place when transporting the hedge trimmer.
- Be extremely careful when working with the hedge trimmers because the blades are extremely sharp.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you oil hedge trimmer blades?
Oiling the trimmer blade is important to improve protection and longevity. It helps prevent the blades from moisture, residue and helps you keep the trimmer cleaner.
If you take care of your gas hedge trimmer properly, it will last a lot longer.
What is better gas or electric hedge trimmer?
Both have their advantage over the other. The engine of a gas hedge trimmer is more powerful than the electric motor used for electric trimmers. This means that they are capable of cutting through most of the thick branches you will encounter.
On the other hand, gas-powered hedge trimmers have no power cords or outlets so they are easier to move around and you can maneuver them pretty easily.
Can a hedge trimmer Cut branches?
It depends on the strength of the engine/motor and the blade’s groove. This is one thing you must consider when buying any type of hedge trimmer.
Hedge trimmers work best for foliage branches. However, if the engine is strong enough and the teeth gap can catch the branches of the shrubs, it will cut them.
How Loud Are Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmers?
This depends on the brand and model you buy. Recently, brands are trying to improve the design to achieve a quiet engine. But the truth must be said, that gasoline engines are noisy and even the quietest one will still require the user to use ear protection.
What Is The Best Gas Hedge Trimmer?
There are many gas trimmers in the market today, but below are our recommended gas hedge trimmers for different needs and budgets:
- SALEM MASTER Cordless Hedge Trimmer – Best Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer
- Poulan Pro 2 Cycle Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer – Best Gas Hedge Trimmer for Home Use
- Echo Gas 2-Stroke Cycle Hedge Trimmer– Best Cheap Hedge Trimmer
- EASYG 23.6cc Gas Hedge Trimmer – Best Gas Hedge trimmer for Beginners
The best gas hedge trimmers should be lightweight, easy to use, and should be durable. It may be difficult to find all the qualities in one, but you should get the one that meets most of your criteria.
While we love all the products on our list, you can’t have all of them. We also understand that people’s need and choice differs.
But if allowed to pick the overall best, we will consider the Husqvarna Gas 23.7-in Dual Action Hedge Trimmer. The fact that it comes from a reputable manufacturer in the industry is enough proof of quality.
Do not take us for our words, you can visit the Amazon sales page and check out what other previous customers have to say about these products and make your final decisions.
Let us know which you have decided to buy or probably which you have had an experience with.